Sunday, January 27, 2008

'Gringo Tax' and other overcharging

In India, there is the whole overcharging system. I've gathered that just by virtue of being a foreign traveler, the prices are doubled or tripled automatically on sight. Believe it or not, I don't have a major issue with the two-tiered price system at attractions. The prices are clearly stated. Also consider that if the two prices were averaged (I pay less, and an Indian pays more), and if Indians were deprived of experiencing and sharing their heritage, that wouldn't be worth me saving a few bucks (though I thought the Taj Mahal entry was a bit stiff- about USD$19 at the relevant exchange rate, the Indian rate was something like $0.50).

Rather what I'm referring to was something like a rickshaw ride I was trying to take the other day. Locals told me that the ride should be between 20 and 30 rupees (about $0.50-0.75). I know that the former was the correct price as a local took it upon themselves to arrange one right after we got off the bus together (for 30 rupees). As there were many rickshaws around and I was very hungry and wouldn't be able to eat for some time, I decided to let that one go, and get another after while (had plenty of time). Then on my own came all the outrageous prices- drivers were quoting 150, 125, 100 rupees, etc. for the same ride. An obvious rip-off. I know that in actual monetary amounts, it isn't that much, but it bugs me to be ripped off just because I'm foreign. I'm actually about as cheap as most Indians anyway!

On the brighter side, while searching for some food, someone at a stall offered me to try something. It is OK, but I was more interested in the other thing being served. I was presented with a small plate of that dish, and the owner absolutely refused any payment. Some boys also around wanted to practice English- sincerely w/o a hustle. So that's India, ripping you off with one hand, and giving freely with the other.

Incidentally, some kind locals saw me taking to the rickshaw drivers (and sending them all along- when I get a rip-off quote, I don't feel like trusting them with anything, though it is probably OK). Seeing this, one told me that very nearby was a bus stop, and wrote out the buses that would take me where I wanted to go. So my 30 rupee rickshaw (Indian negotiated) that went to 150 rupee (gringo tax), suddenly became 4 rupee on the bus (about $0.10).

The bus ride was an interesting adventure in itself. It was unimaginably packed, but still always room for more paying customers. I was literally hanging half out of the bus going down the street. Eventually some kind people made some room for me to squeeze my complete body inside, but an interesting experience overall. As mentioned before, in India, it's ALWAYS SOMETHING.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home