Thursday, January 17, 2008

Experience in Bollywood, India

Anna's entry:

While in Mumbai, I met a Dutch lady Nanda who invited me join her for a Bollywood movie production as an extra. I thought it would be an interesting experience so I did. In addition, the movie was being directed by a very famous Indian director Madhur Bhandarkar, who raises controversial topics. This movie was not an exception. Called "Fashion" it is a movie portraying the other reality of the "glamorous" fashion world, behind the scenes - corruption, pressure, alcohol and drugs involved in a profession and life of a model. If interested, here is a link to the movie http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20060907-4.html.
It should be released in about six months or so.

Our "role" in the movie was simple - we were Western guests at a Fashion Show. We were put in the front row, and we ended up right next to the camera director, movie director, and producers. In that movie set, a staring actress was Priyanka Chapoor. I didn't know how famous she was until a local person explained to me how lucky we were to be on the set with her, because apparently every Indian person in a small village would know her name, and she also used to be Ms. Universe. Anyway, Priyanka seemed like a nice sweet girl, so that was cool. There were a lot of other famous actors and actresses, but I didn't catch all their names (I am not into idle building, and would make a bad groupie).

Every morning we were picked up and transported to the Bollywood studios. And days were LONG - we would start on a set around 9 a.m., and would be transported back to the hotel around 11 p.m. We were provided three meals a day, and some cash. But, the craziest part was our costumes and make up. Yep - the whole nine yards... As soon as we arrived to the studious we had to meet with a make-up artists. Let me tell you, traveling for a significant amount of time, I do not carry and do not use any make-up whatsoever. I forgot how to use it by now; not my make-up artist though! He wanted to make sure my eyes would be brought up, my lipstick would be compatible, etc. After each day on a set, I could not wash off the make-up off! But, my make-up artist was proud of his work, so he would run to the set from time to time to make sure it all looked good. Come on, I was just an extra! Yes - there may be a couple of camera shots, but who would notice, right? Wrong, Bollywood people seem to think that every detail counts. As an example, they were doing a camera scene of the audience. All of a sudden, an assistant director stopped the camera, and ordered to add a necklace to my dress, and earrings to the dress of my friend Nanda. I must explain, that on our first day on the set we were assigned a dress and even shoes in addition to the make up, so it was a "big deal". We were not allowed to take photos at the set to keep the movie confidentiality before it is released, but I do have a few shots with that special make-up on. Nanda and I had a great time, laughed a lot, joked around, went with a flow, and never took things seriously. However, I must say that for Indian people, being included in a Bollywood film, even as an extra, was a huge deal. We met lots of people that made their whole career and income from being an extra in Bollywood. So, that was an interesting social experience. On our last day of shooting, I brought Rob to the movie set, and he also ended up in several camera shots. He was put next to the film manager, who apparently shared some "Bollywood gossip" with him. I am sure Rob will write a fun piece about that. Over all, being on the Bollywood set was a fun experience, and adds up to our adventures in an unpredictable India.

With my friend Nanda



Bollywood make-up, can you believe it?!

Rob, the Bollywood boy. :)


On the Mumbai waterfront

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home