Sunday, January 06, 2008

Room with a view, breakfast in bed, etc. Mumbai

Anna's entry:

I just same back from a great and cheap Indian lunch, and feel in the mood for a food description entry, and other luxuries. :)

First of all, India is the place for vegetarians. In that respect, it has been the easiest country for me to travel in (I do not eat red meet) compared for example with the Central America travel, where finding vegetarian options from street stalls was quite a challenge. There are hundreds of vegetarian choices here, and thousands of spices are used use to make them taste different and delicious. The best part is that food is not only great, it is cheap! For about a dollar, in a real restaurant, you could have a nice entree portion including delicious chai. And, you can find here anything from traditional Indian dishes to Chinese version and even pizza! Of course, you could also go to an upscale restaurant and have a soup for $4, but it would not be worth it! I am telling you this from a personal experience... Yesterday, my local Indian lady friend invited me to visit a friend of hers. As I found out later, he happens to be an owner of a posh luxurious hotel here (but I did not know that at a time). As a result, we were invited to the restaurant to pick any dishes we would like for free. Unfortunately, I had already had my lunch by then, so I wasn't very hungry, but I still ordered a few things. I decided to have something non-Indian for a change, and ordered cream of asparagus soup, home made ice cream, dessert, and coffee. I am not even going to tell you how much it would have cost us (if we had to pay for it), but one thing for sure - it would not be worth it! For dinner, I headed out to my usual establishment (serving Indian food), and I enjoyed so much more the usual Indian cheap food, just for $1!

Today, I was determined to see the sunrise. I set up my alarm clock for 5:45 a.m. to find out later that the sun rise is around 7:00 a.m. Luckily, I could observe the sun rise from my window (from the fourth floor), and I had a whole hour to watch what was going on down below. Apparently, 5:45 a.m. is a very popular time for joggers and walkers here. Almost all of them, proceeded with their routine along the waterfront bare footed. Now, if you have been to India, you might remember the quality of the roads here, but still nevertheless, people were running barefooted. I also saw a guy walking his dog. I am not sure if his dog was in heat, but it was followed by several stray dogs, whose tales were wagging like crazy, and the owner also had a stick in his hand (which he did not use at all). Also, right below our building, somebody set up a praying place. A small statute of Buddha (or one of his versions), with a florescent light, and a simple roof over it. I observed people stopping right in front of it, and then they would touch their heads, and try moving in circles (clockwise), I think about three times. It must symbolize some kind religious energy, or something like that. Then, another guy came, and he threw two buckets of water on the pedestal under the Buddha - this seems to be a typical way of washing things around here, even though it only creates mud. One thing I did not see this morning was stray cows... I miss not seeing them in Mumbai, something is just missing without them here!

Also, around this Buddha place, we had street dancing the other day. I was walking towards my hotel, and all of a sudden I say people dancing right in the middle of the street. And, you should have seen the moves! Two ladies, dressed in traditional saris, were moving their bod's like no one else's business. I thought they are supposed to be modest, these sari ladies! Oh no, nothing like that! Then, a younger guy began dancing as if he were an "exotic dancer", I mean all these sex moves, and all. I was so impressed, I grabbed my camera, and began shooting a video. One of the dancing ladies stopped, and ran towards me. She asked "Hey, do you want some free food?", apparently, there was some kind street charity that night. I thanked her, and told her that I had already had my supper, but she ran towards me with some traditional dessert, quickly put it in my hand, and disappeared in a crowd with her sexy dance moves. I stood there for a few more minutes admiring the whole dancing venue, and then went back to my place. When I have a faster internet connection, I will download my camera video.

I mentioned I would write about other luxuries... We had no choice but splurge for the hotel (everything is more expensive in Mumbai). I am paying the whole $10 (instead of usual $8). :)
But, the hotel is right on the waterfront, I have a view of the harbor, and I have my own TV. I am caught up on the tabloid Bollywood pop-culture (Mumbai is referred to as Bollywood, because it is a Hollywood of India, where thousands of films are produced). I'll tell you, some of the Indian singers are so hot! My favorite is Shah Rukh Hahn. Check out his music if you have a chance, it's pretty decent (in terms of music)! :)

Going back to luxuries... I treated myself to a breakfast in bed the other day. Ordered English expired eggs, toast, jam, coffee - the whole nine years. Total cost is $1.25. I think I am getting a little spoilt here, it would be tough to start cooking again my own breakfast when we are done with travels....

Waterfront and Gate of India


View from our room window


More views from the window


Afternoon walk along the waterfront


Ice cream at the Haji Ali mosque


Happy friends at the Haji Ali mosque


University of Mumbai


Marine Drive, sunset

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home