Friday, December 21, 2007

My View - Personal Note [Rob´s India Entry (#2)]

Rob's entry

The following subject matter is not something that I would typically include for public consumption, however on many occasions after returning from trips to Mexico, I'd often be asked if I encountered any 'Montezuma's Revenge', or similar references. I was always a little surprised at such a seemingly forward and personal inquiry, but learned to overcome my delicate sensibilities and answer directly the truth (which was usually 'no'). There were a few times however that I would respond with references to a little 'traveler's diarrhea' (which oddly, often evoked a little embarrassment from the asker). Such frank responses on my part typically ended the conversation quickly (hey, I didn't bring it up...).
So for any who are wondering how my gastrointestinal system is holding up in India, I submit the following report.
Before continuing, be warned that the content of this blog entry may not be suitable for all readers. Feel free to skip to the next entry if you have any hesitation about the subject matter.
So, how are things working out in India? Had a memorable experience lately. I only decided to write about this because of the above preface; and because few bowel movements are ever truly unforgettable experiences. Oh yes, you might remember feeling sick and the outcome, but such memories fade quickly. But this was different.
It is unknown how this condition developed, and it might even be coincidental that it occurred within a week of arrival, but it is something I'll likely remember for a long time. Without going into too much detail, explosive is the only term that seems appropriate. Explosive and deafening. One can often attenuate the sounds made by various anatomical adjustments, but this was futile. I searched at 4am for some type of silencer, but it was full machine gun. An added complication was my inexperience with squat toilets. Again, I won't go into too much detail about the resulting train-wreck that was the bathroom, but suffice it to say that the months of taking care of my bed-ridden mother helped me weather the event.
Unfortunately I can't say that things have returned to normal, but my condition is better and will hopefully continue to improve. On the brighter side, my skill with squat toilets has improved somewhat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home