Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Malang, Java

Anna's entry:
I could write here about mountains and hills, or hot springs and cheap (2USD/hour) massages, or maybe extensive food scene, or tourists and beggars. But, I am not going to. Yes, all of these things exist here, but there is something else that has been preoccupying me for a while, and I feel this would be a good time to vent.
Indonesians are very friendly and helpful, it is probably the friendliest country we've been to. But, how much I would wish that they would take some of their friendliness away from people, and share it with animals and the rapidly disappearing habitat... Oh how much we have observed, while traveling in South and South East Asia, disappearing rain forests, bombed reefs, and exploited animas....
As a matter of fact, today I had a very sad experience at a local market - numerous cages full of captured exotic birds, tropical fish, snakes, corals, and young (newly born) monkeys in small cages - of course, their mothers had to be killed (shot) to take away the baby monkeys for sale... It is so sad.....
India has chained up elephants, exploited for entertainment - touching pilgrims on the heads with the trunk for "good luck". Malaysia and Thailand have chained up monkeys as "pets". Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam have barely any forests left, and I don't even want to tell you what happened to animals... And, my native Russia - killing and exporting bear gall bladders for traditional Chinese "medicine"...
The other day, heard on the BBC radio about an enormous amount of ivory (elephant tusks) seized by the customs, that adds up to 2000 murdered elephants. The ivory was to be delivered to China for the purpose of making luxury chopsticks, executive stamps, and mobile cases...
Is there any hope for humanity? I think not.

I have intentionally decided not to post any photos on this entry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home