Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Masaya, Nicaragua

Anna´s entry -

This entry is going to be dedicated to people of Nicaragua. Nicaragua for me has been an emotionally the most difficult country to comprehend and accept. I truly enjoyed the nature, however, I changed evaluation of people several times in my mind - from hating ever being there to being very proud to have an opportunity to experience it. If you read our blog about Isla de Omepte earlier, you probably remember the direct discrimination we experienced there, as well as constantly being hustled on the streets. As Rob puts it - now I have an idea what it must feel like for celebrities constantly being followed, and not being able to have any privacy for their own lives. I have felt on several occasions very disappointed with Nicaraguans, and could not wait to leave. Our trip from the border with Costa Rica-Nicaragua to Masaya, Nicaragua has changed all of it, and made me feel very differently about Nicaraguans, and I am really glad it did...

This is what happened. First of all, as soon as we crossed the border, we began being hustled again. We had to take a bus to Managua, and as soon as approached the bus, we automatically were quoted a different price then anyone else would pay (because we are gringos - that already sounds familiar). When we were on the bus, we got over-charged again, and putting a fight did not help. Then, while going too fast on the highway, the bus got a shaft broken, and we got stranded (luckily no one got hurt). We changed a bus, but it would not take us where we needed to go, and we got kicked off at a highway in hopes for another bus. This is the part that made me hate everything about Nicaragua.

This is a part that would change my opinion. As soon as we got on a bus, and were over-charged again by a conductor, one lady sitting behind me noticed I was upset. She asked me to tell her what happened, which I did. And, this is what happened afterwards... She talked to a couple of other passengers, and they decided to stand up for me and make things right. The lady organized the whole protest on my behalf, she told the conductor how inappropriate to treat strangers like that, and made him explain his action, and give me back the money. She also reached for her own pocket, and offered me to take her money - which of course I did not - she really wanted to make sure that I feel better about Nicaragua. That just broke my heart, I know how hard she must be working, and how little she may be earnig in return, and yet there she was, offering me her own donation so I feel better. How incredible it was after all the mistreatment we got! In addition, three other local guys joint her support group, and were watching over us the entire trip. Apparently, the bus was not going to the destination it was supposed to - it actually worked better for Rob and me, but it made several other backpackers mad - as they were told a lie regarding the bus destination, so that bus could make some profit on them. One of the gringos decided to jump of the bus while the bus was moving, and it was turning absolutely insane. At that point, my support group of locals were rallying for us loud and clear, and bus driver and conductor were sorry they ever tried to take advantage of us. Despite of all the lies from the bus conductor and driver, the trip turned out to be something to remember. That local lady and three guys rallying for us gave me an incredible sense of hope, and made me realize how many wonderful people there are in Nicaragua, who are just there - and sometime it takes a bad situation to come across kindness and generosity...

In addition, when we reached Masaya, we also experienced more genuine sense of hospitality and friendliness, which we have not felt for a long time in Nicaragua. We realized, that probably that attributes to the fact that the town has not been over-run by the tourists, and therefore, locals were sincerely interested in us. Trust me, some of those tourists are not meant to be here. Loud, ignorant, and obnoxious, they may be the main factor for locals start treating us, strangers, as outsiders.

I am really glad we took that detour to Masaya, Nicaragua. That was our last stop in Nicaragua, and it corrected my perception and memories about Nicaraguans. And, the lady who offered me the money on the bus, and who rallied for us with all her heart, wherever you are, THANK YOU! You are the reason, I think about Nicaragua as a truly interesting and rewarding place to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home